I haven’t been on here in a couple of days. Chris’ parents are on holiday so I’ve been the ‘mummy’ and have been constantly washing clothes and dishes and nipping to Tesco to get fresh meat.
Chris asked me to cook for him for the week because I’ve never made him foods that I ‘claim to be able to make’. First on the list was Shepherds pie. I hadn’t made it since I was doing my GCSE’s so imagine how long ago that was. It’s pretty simple to make. You’re supposed to use lamb mince but of course, I didn’t realise that I had picked up pork mince. It still tasted alright but lamb mince is better.
All you need is:
1. Preheat the oven to about 180C
2. Peel and boil the potatoes. Cut your vegetables up into small pieces. While they’re boiling, cook your mince until it’s nice and brown. Add your carrot and onions and cook until they’re soft.
3. For the gravy, I used Bisto. Just add cold water to it and stir. Easy right? I used a little (and I mean a tiny bit) of cornstarch to thicken it. Don’t add too much or you’ll end up with a gravy paste that really doesn’t taste the nicest. Some people drain the juice from the pan before adding the gravy to the mince but I prefer to leave it in.
4. Mash your potatoes and add a little milk and butter so that they’re creamy.
5. Add your mince to a Pyrex dish. Scoop the mashed potato on top. I used a fork to make lines in the potato but you can smooth it too.
6. Pop in the oven until the potato is golden and crispy (mine took about 20 minutes) and you’re done!
I made chips with it. I had so much confidence in it until it was time to actually give it to Chris. “You do know that this is a ‘Is Nat wife material‘ test?” Hmm no pressure there Chris =D Thankfully, he said it was good.
Lets hope he likes the rest of the meals I make!