So, there were 3 weeks left to go until my friends wedding. I decided to try on my dress just to check it was still OK. Didn’t I have a huge shock when it just about zipped up and I couldn’t breathe in it. It was like I was about to burst right out. What was I going to do? Luckily for me, Chris has been on the Paleo diet and it’s been working well for him. I decided to join him in the diet. At first I was wanting my tea and biscuits but that was only out of habit. Even at my friends Hen party I was pretty good and went for the vegetable stir fry, no dessert. What’s been even better is that we’ve had good weather and the heat has made me want tea and, well, everything less. what’s good about being on a diet together is that you can keep each other right. We had one cheat day where we ate bread and stuff but I told him no more until the wedding party. I was so determined to stick to it to make sure I would fit into my dress. We buy the paleo pack at the butchers near our house and pretty much plan what we’re going to eat each day, that way we can’t really slip up.
There are so many easy meals to make which is good because then either of us can make them which is great if I’m coming home from work then going to my other job later on in the day. Of course we do have to cheat a little every now and then but not full on cheat days. I might have a cup of tea or a biscuit one day or he might have a few crisps (which he is doing right now) but that’s it. Even when we were having a BBQ at the weekend we stuck to paleo sausages and burgers and a sweet potato done on the BBQ instead.
Tonight we decided to have roasted sweet potato cubes and mixed vegetables and grilled chicken and bacon. Chris’ mum and I cut up all of the vegetables while Chris and his sister went to the gym and got it all ready to go into the oven whenever they came back. I’d never made it before so Chris told me how long to cook it for and what temperature and y’know what? It was pretty good.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- mixed peppers
- baby tomatoes
- broccoli (optional)
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 4 slices of bacon
- paprika seasoning
- garlic seasoning
- chilli seasoning
*You can add any vegetables you like, we just used what we found in the fridge*
1. Wash and cut up all the vegetables into good sized chunks and chuck into a baking tin. Season as desired
2. Boil the sweet potato for about 5 minutes until it’s partly soft to make it easier to cook in the oven
3. Add the sweet potato to the top of the tin and wait to cool before seasoning with paprika
4. Cover with tin foil and put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 150°C. Once the 10 minutes are up, remove the tin foil and put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes
For the meat:
1. Clean the chicken to get off any gunk. Season with salt and pepper
2. Pop under the grill for 6 minutes on each side at 140°C
3. Add the bacon to the grill when the chicken is half cooked
Simple and yummy. It’s now a week until the wedding. I tried on my dress this morning and it fitted. I will keep up this diet though so that there’s more room in the dress so that I can enjoy the food at the wedding without worrying about the dress feeling a bit tight after. Even after the wedding I’ll probably keep it up just for a healthier diet.